Thursday, July 2, 2009

Countdown is on ... GWTA

Just finished the last prep on the Raleigh and the countdown is on to the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure!


A change in itinerary. The original plan called for us to spend night 2 at Fort York in Toronto. Thanks to the T.O. municipal workers' strike that venue has been commandeered for trash storage. The new plan is to make our way to Union Station, load our bikes on trucks, and take the GO train to Pickering.

Somehow that seems like cheating. I suspect a few will carry on across the Martin Goodman Trail, up Kingston Road into Scarborough, and on to Pickering on our bikes. Should be about 100k total for the day.

Packing is mostly done. I’m just deciding what tent to bring since luggage is limited to 2 duffel bags.

The little tent fits me but the rest of my gear would fend for itself each night. As long as the duffels are still rain-worthy that would be OK.

The big tent sleeps four in a pinch so has plenty of room for all my kit out of the elements, and would be more 'luxurious'. But then I’d be packing less kit to make room for the tent.

Of course I could have gone out and bought an in-between tent or a monster duffel but I’m in a ‘get rid off stuff’ mode and ‘get stuff’ runs counter to the program.

So tomorrow morning it’s load the truck and off to Niagara-on-the-lake!

No comments: